Liferay Portal has proved itself as the world’s leading open source portal platform in open source web development. Because of its reliability, cost effectiveness and capability to support the development of innovative internet-based applications, Liferay portal is increasingly being used globally across industries for their most challenging information technologyneeds. Liferay Portal is the only open source portal that is compatible with any application server, database server, or operating system. It also supports many different servlet containers.
Liferay Enterprise Edition Vs Liferay Professional Edition
Liferay Portal comes in two flavors: Professional and Enterprise editions. Below is a brief comparison between the two.
- Liferay Portal Enterprise edition is based on Java Enterprise Beans whereas the Liferay Professional version is based on POJO and uses Spring framework. Thus building EJBs should only be done using Liferay Portal Enterprise.
- Liferay Portal Enterprise requires a complete J2EE application server whereas Liferay Professional can run on any simple servlet container.
- Liferay Portal Enterprise Edition (EE), being the most stable version of the product, serves companies targeting to maintain one stable version of the product for an extended period of time.
Companies worldwide have been using Liferay Portal because of its high-end functionality, compatibility with most major application servers and database platforms, and scalability. One can consolidate, organize and access all the data and applications via a single point of access that the Liferay portal provides. Single sign-on allows end-users to log-in just once to access all their information needs. After signing in, it allows you to customize and gives controlled accessibility to users of sensitive information and add-on functionalities.
Following are some of noticeable benefits of the Liferay Portal solutions:
Liferay Portal is the world’s leading open source enterprise portal solution using the latest in Java and Web 2.0 technologies. Liferay Portal offers dynamic, intuitive and time saving features:
- It provides out-of-the-box tools offering over 60 portlets
- Liferay CMS and Liferay Collaboration offers content management, web publishing, collaboration and options.
- Based on SOA strategy for of existing systems
- Role-based access granting varying levels of control and editing rights
- Users can be grouped together with each group having their own separate mini portal
- Offers drag & drop feature allowing users to move different elements around in the portal.
- Out of the box support for 22 languages
- Personal space for users that can be customized for accessibility and look and feel.
- Can run on all major application servers, databases and operating systems
- Benchmarked among the most secure portal platforms
Created for enterprise use, Liferay Portal provides a virtual space where you can centralize, share and collaborate. Built with the end user in mind, user interface developed using Liferay Portal is easy to understand even by the technically ignorant user.